Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Chinese fortune

When I was pregnant, Jay and I frequented China Town. Jeremy is very "picky" when it come to his Chinese food. No, we cannot go to any of the seven million take out places here in town, we must drive to Canton. China Town is his absolute favorite now. He actually compares it to West Lake. West Lake is a place in his home town and you would have thought Jesus himself dined there. (ok, sorry, back to the subject at hand)
While I was pregnant, at the end of one of our many visits, I cracked open that delicious cookie they bring with the bill, only to find a tiny shred of paper. Well no surprise there as I think it would have been more of a surprise NOT to find paper. But in this case, the front and the back of the paper had words. One side had a silly fortune but the other had a Chinese word and the English translation. Apparently the Chinese are sick of Americans not knowing their language. So they are slyly trying ot teach us Chinese. The word that I was supposed to learn was DAUGHTER!! At that point J and I did not know that the baby was infact a girl. So I kept the tiny slip of paper safe in a drawer and after the baby was born I found it and was pretty impressed with the Chinese culture!! Those crazy good food makers know a heck of a lot, I'd say.
The reason I'm bringing this up now is because we had Chinese food this past weekend and once again I cracked open the cookie only to find....well yes, a tiny slip of paper with a fortune on one side and a "learn Chinese" on the other....just guess what it said.........



YOUNGER BROTHER. Go figure! And the Chinese translation actually said di di. Which is the nickname that we've been using for Skylar now for months! I guess the moral of the story is if you want to know your future just learn Chinese.

No I am not pregnant. Who do you think I am...Brittney Spears?!

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Very cool! The Chinese pregnancy calendar was right on with us.